gf mom certified,

Jicama Southwestern Salad

7:00 AM Tiffany Hinton 4 Comments



The first time I every had a jicama salad was when Franki was in the NICU.  The nurses and doctors encouraged us to go out for lunch each day.  We never wanted to leave her and to think of leaving the hospital for even lunch was scary.  I cried as we left for lunch and really just wanted to sneak down to the cafeteria and eat again.  But, at the insistences of the nurses hubby took me out.  Only about 5 minutes away to the quaint downtown.  It was May in Chicago, but not quite warm yet.  We opted to sit outside at this cute little Mexican place.  As I waited for my salad, I prayed or if you really must know I demanded God heal our little girl and fix her lungs.  I had set a deadline for God (not sure I would advise this), I wanted to bring my girl home on the following Tuesday.  She was born on a Sunday and spend 7 days on oxygen, then 2 additional days in NICU and God delivered we brought her home on that Tuesday, all 5 lbs of the mini me.  Now you would never even know she was that small.  She's a head taller than the rest of her age group and so bright.

Ingredients:
1 cup jicama, cut into match sticks
1 head lettuce, chopped
1 cucumber sliced
1 small red onion, chopped
1 cup grilled chicken, sliced
1 cup shredded swiss cheese (optional)

Southwestern Ranch dressing (Wishbone or Amy's is gluten free)

Directions:
Mix all together and serve topped with the southwestern ranch dressing.

Join our Mailing List - http://www.mom-certified.com  for weekly recipes delivered right to your mailbox
to your favorite board for easy reference


I am sharing this!

Craftomanic Monday link party | Made With Love Link Up by Sew Chatty | Craftastic Monday Link Party | Bowdabra’s Showcase | The 36th Avenue

You Might Also Like

4 comments:

Yum! Found you through Sew Can Do linky party. My husband is Hispanic and we eat Jicama just sliced, with lime (or lemon) juice squeezed on top and sprinkled with a little red pepper. I will have to try it in a salad! I never even knew what Jicama was until we met!
I also can empathize with leaving your newborn...my last son was transported to a large medical center for further treatment, after he was stable, friends showed up unexpected and whisked me off to dinner. I was miserable, but I will never forget their thoughtfulness at driving two hours, finding us, and caring enough to help us cope!
(and my son managed the seperation fine, lol, slept right through)

Paula - Thank you for sharing. Enjoy your Jicama.

Sally said...

Tiffany,

Thanks so much for sharing your Jicama Southwestern Salad on our Food Allergy Love Fest link-up! I've never had Jicama but my dad has been talking about it for the past few months. Now that I have a recipe I'm going to give it a try! Sounds delicious! Hope you come back and share more recipes!
Blessings,
Lauren

Sally said...

Not sure why it tagged me as "Sally." HA! That gave me a good laugh for today! Hope you're having a fabulous hump day!! :)
Lauren