Tomato Soup...mmm good
Tomato soup was my favorite growing up with a grilled cheese. I could eat this everyday all winter long and never tire. Then along came my gluten intolerance and dairy issues. No more Campbell's for me. No more toasted cheese. I had lost a whole winter meal that I used to re-energize with on days I didn't have energy for cooking. Which was many, because the gluten made me exhausted. I used to nap everyday too from 4 to 6 in the afternoon.
I still want tomato soup, I still want a creamy tomato soup. Now I know Amy's makes a gluten free tomato soup, which is good (although it has milk). And too much lactose makes we bloated with dog smelling farts (did I just tell you that..)
For the toasted cheese grab a loaf of Udi's sandwich bread and Cabot lactose free cheddar cheese. Yummy! Add some ham if you like too.
- 8 Roma tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2-4 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped small
- 2 Tbl unsalted butter
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbl Thyme minced (use fresh) – If that’s not available use 1 tsp dried
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped and squashed with hands
- 2 Tbl dried basil
- 1 Tbl sugar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup rice milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Put the tomato pieces onto a baking sheet and drizzle liberally with olive oil careful so they do not overlap.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast tomatoes for about 1 hour. You don’t have to flip them.
- While tomatoes are roasting melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute until translucent ~ 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and thyme, stir and cook another 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add crushed tomatoes (juice and all), basil and sugar.
- Taste this and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Stir the mixture, cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the cover and add the chicken stock and roasted tomatoes.
- Replace the cover and allow to simmer another 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Puree everything in the pot until it’s creamy and smooth. Add this liquid to a food processor or blender but BE CAREFUL as this is hot!
- Add the soup back into the pot.
- Add in the milk and stir until all combined. The soup will lighten in color to an orangish-color.
- Add in the Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Let this simmer, uncovered a few more minutes to allow the milk to warm up in the soup.
Join our Mailing List - http://www.mom-certified.com for weekly recipes delivered right to your mailbox
I am sharing this!
Craftomanic Monday link party | Made With Love Link Up by Sew Chatty | Craftastic Monday Link Party | Bowdabra’s Showcase | The 36th Avenue