The Healing Powers of Chicken Stock
Five things you may not know about chicken broth
1. Bone broth will heal a leaky gut. You will find that bone broths or stocks are a big part of the GAPS protocol to heal a gut tissue because it provide nutrient dense food that is easy for the body to absorb.
2. Bone broth is fed to recovering anorexic patients who will not consume solid foods.
3. Bone broth can be made at home for minimal expense with left overs or scraps. See the recipe below
4. Bone broth also inhibits infections caused by the cold and flu viruses and fights inflammation.
5. Bone broth contains gelatin that is hydrophilic colloid and supports proper digestion.
Bone broth made from a left over chicken carcass is super easy to make. Let's get started!
2 - 3 lbs chicken bones (preferably from organic free-range chicken)
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 tbs apple cider vinegar
4 quarts water
Boil all ingredients for 6 hours on low heat or cook in crockpot 24 hours on low.
Strain your both and place in sterilized mason jars.
Can the broth for future use in soups, gravies or just as a warm soothing drink. To can the broth seal you jars with fresh lids and pressure cook for 25 minutes. Remove from canner pot and set on kitchen towel overnight to ensure the lids seal properly. If a lid pops when you push on it, discard.