cake,

Vegan Velvet Cake for Valentines! #GlutenFreeEggFreeDairyFree

10:41 AM Tiffany Hinton 0 Comments


to your favorite board for easy reference
Have your kids ever asked for something and your like "sure no problem", then it is a big fail.  Did you try to put a swing in your tree? or perhaps it was the Elyse braid or a princess dress? or maybe that was all me.

My girls requested a red velvet cake for Valentines.  I was like sure no problem.  I had a gluten free recipe in a cookbook, hubby had purchased for me.  I read it over and it seemed simple enough.  It called for 2 eggs, no biggie I have been successful with replacing up to 2 eggs so far.  So why not.

I dug out my mini bunt pan so they each could each have one and mixed my flours.  As we all know gluten free all purpose flour is not all the same.  I love to use Namaste or my own blend.  We were out of Namaste so I mixed up my flour blend and got started.  The cakes went in the oven, they rose really quickly and kinda exploded like a volcano in our oven.  Then came out of the oven sunken and flat, and tasted bad.

Just like a Pinterest Fail.  I threw the whole thing away, they weren't even red.  I was frustrated and determined to give my girls cake as requested for Valentines.

So, I dug out my vegan muffin recipe that is perfect every time.  They rise, are airy, fluffy, moist and delish.  I looked at the ingredients and started to break down the chemistry in the recipe.  I dug into the velvet cake recipe and started modifying the ingredients.  Cake needs to have air and lightness to have it rise.  I was determined to make the cake gluten free, dairy free and egg free.  I used organic products and got to work. Recipe creating! The kind of work I love.  I tasted ingredients as I went and constantly check for weight and texture.  I used almond milk, you could also use coconut milk as well.  Without the dairy you need a milk with fat.  I replaced the water with coffee for a richer flavor.  I changed out the white vinegar for apple cider, because we removed the eggs.   This is where the chemistry happens; my love for food and the magic potion of a recipe.



The cake batter was thin, yet had air.  It tasted perfect and not overly sweet.  I poured it into the prepared bunt pan and tapped the bottom to remove any air bubbles.  I set the timer and removed everyone from the kitchen.  NO loud noises or jumpy, my cake was not going to fail from children.  I even went to the toy room to keep myself from opening the oven door to peak.


video
We had a winner! 


Here is the recipe for you! Happy Valentine's Day!

Vegan Velvet Cake

Ingredients
2 cups gluten free all purpose flour (Mom Certified blend from Three Days to Perfection)
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs egg replacer
2 tbs cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup cold coffee
1/2 cup grape seed oil

2 tbs red food coloring optional for red velvet cake

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Prepare your bunt pan or 2 8-inch round cake pans, by rubbing with coconut oil and then coating with flour, shake and remove the excess.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients and set aside.  In a medium bowl mix together all remaining ingredients and food coloring if using.

Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and slowly pour the wet mixture into the well. Slowly whisk together until well mixed, then beat for 1 minute to ensure the cake batter is completely combined.  Pour the batter evening into the prepared pans.

Bake for 30 minutes without opening the oven door.  Check the cake and rotate 180 degrees. Bake for about additional 10 minutes until the top bounces back when touched and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.

Remove from the oven and let cool on cooling rack for 15 minutes. Invert pans on cooling rack to remove from the pans. Let cakes cool completely, then frost with cream cheese icing or vanilla buttercream. 

If you want more great allergy friendly recipes pick up one of our cookbooks. Just click on the amazon button on the side bar and we will ship it directly to you! Let us help you bring Joy to your table too!

Join our Mailing List - http://www.mom-certified.com  for weekly recipes delivered right to your mailbox



You Might Also Like

0 comments: