Toast Oats #recipe
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup steel-cut oats (GF Harvest gluten free organic oats)
- ¼ teaspoon himalayan salt
- Optional mix-ins: ground spices like cinnamon, dried fruit like cranberries or chopped dates, toasted chopped nuts like walnuts, lemon or orange zest, etc.
- In a large saucepan, combine the water and coconut milk. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. In the meantime, melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once melted add the oats and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and fragrant, around 2 minutes.
- Stir the oats into the simmering water/milk mixture. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is very thick.
- Stir in the salt. Continue to simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally and reducing heat to simmer to prevent scorching on the bottom, until almost all of the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. The oatmeal will be very creamy when it's done.
- Remove from heat and stir in any mix-ins that you'd like. Let the oatmeal rest for 5 minutes before serving so it has more time to thicken up and cool down a palatable temperature.
- Portion oatmeal into bowls and add any toppings you'd like to portions that you intend to serve immediately. Let any extra oatmeal cool completely before covering and refrigerating for future breakfasts.